VOICES FROM THE ECCC (Extraordinary Chambers in the Court of Cambodia)/THE KHMER ROUGE TRIBUNAL.
- Can you state your name and position, and provide a brief summary of your basic responsibilities at the ECCC?
- What brought you to the ECCC in this role?
- Tell us about the process of investigating for the courts. What was your day-to-day work like?
- What were the challenges?
- What was it like speaking with witnesses? Were they willing to cooperate or more hesitant to speak? What did they think about the court process?
- Are there any lessons learned, best practices, or recommendations based on your time at the ECCC that might be helpful for future international tribunals?
- Based on your work at the ECCC, what do you see to be significant challenges for future courts handling mass atrocities, particularly in investigation?
- Keeping within the boundaries of what has been released to the public: can you recall any accused or survivor stories that resonated with you?
- What do you think the major impacts of the ECCC will be, both today and, say, 20 years in the future?
( November 04, 2019)